Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Windrose Farm



Monday, October 19, 2009.

From Santa Cruz, I decide my next stop will be Windrose Farm in Paso Robles. I arrive uninvited and unannounced. Bill Spencer is running the field in his tractor. I think I met him once before at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market. The lovely Corina Weibel had introduced us.

I don't want to disturb Bill so I hang around and take in the scenery. Bill and Barbara live and work in an incredibly beautiful spot. Oak trees everywhere - a great big one still in the field that Bill drives the tractor around, far enough away so as not to disturb feeder roots.

Bill sees me, stops the tractor and invites me in for lunch. I meet farm friends Grover, his wife Mari, Don Smith and Bill and Barbara's intern Jessi. She's from Maine.

One of those interesting coincidences in life: Grover, Don and Jessi are about to add biodynamic preparations to a compost pile. Another visitor shows up unannounced. There's a quality about Windrose Farm that attracts soul-searching types.

No comments:

Post a Comment